Friday, April 17, 2015

Baby Food

One of my favorite parts of having a baby to play with is feeding him. Yes, it is like I am a little girl with my own little baby doll. The cutest, most snuggly baby doll ever! His big brother being the exception... although he isn't quite as snuggly anymore. But he is still cute! Even 15 years ago (wow...), before I knew anything about processed food, pesticides, yada, yada, yada, I still felt guilty feeding Keegan that watery, nasty looking jarred baby food. I tasted everything before I gave it to him and only things I could handle eating made it to his little tummy. Even then, none of it was what I would call appetizing. I decided before even conceiving that not only would this little one be breast fed and cloth diapered, but I would be making his food too. He still gets a jar of food now and then. Primarily pears and applesauce.

Today Liam and I made carrots! I didn't manage to get carrots planted last fall so these are organic from the store. He helped by chewing on this carrot while I peeled and sliced the rest and got them ready to steam. I love that I can make it thicker and with more texture, you know, more like actual food instead of being so watery that it drips off the spoon on the way to his mouth.




My mom got Liam the best Christmas present! These little freezer trays are amazing! They freeze everything in little cubes. It takes 4-5 cubes for a serving, but it makes reheating it much easier than if they were in one big hunk of ice. It is also fun to combine cubes. Liam's favorite combos at the moment are 2 green bean + 3 butternut squash and 2 strawberry + 3 banana + oatmeal. I also cook with minimal ingredients and low salt/sugar so I can puree what we eat for him. He has been enjoying the turkey soup from scratch I made for us to help kick that cold we have had. He had that and a bowl of sweets and beets (sweet potatoes, beets, and onions baked until caramelized. Yum) that only he and I enjoy. Not all of his food is premade and pureed. We share a bowl of fresh avocado dip or yogurt most every morning. But this helps me make sure he gets a good variety of healthy food on a regular schedule. I'm not always good at making meals at specific times and sometimes I'm busy or exhausted and make fast easy stuff that isn't always so healthy. Yes... guilty. But Liam doesn't feel the effects. Yet. At the moment his freezer stores include, bananas, strawberries, butternut squash, green beans, sweets and beets, turkey soup, pear juice, sweet potatoes, and now carrots. Liam says YUM! Joker style.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! In reality, it is the rest of us that are blessed to have him in our lives. He is such an amazing little guy. I couldn't imagine life without my boys. Makes me wish I had a bunch more!

      Delete