Saturday, August 18, 2012

Homemade Mayo!

Did you know that mayonnaise is made with raw egg yolk? I didn't either, until recently. I don't eat mayo very often, simply because it is so bad for you. I do love egg salad, though. It is my favorite use for fresh eggs. I love to boil a bunch of them, shell them, place them in a baggie or container, and graze on them for the next few days. Egg salad is so easy! It uses mayonnaise, though. I don't trust factory produced eggs and refuse to give my money to companies that treat animals the way that they do. As much as I hate to part with the very few fresh eggs that I am getting from my hens, right now, I think it is worth it. Making homemade mayonnaise is as simple as making egg salad.

The ingredients are:
One fresh egg yolk
1 cup Oil (I love having the option to use any oil I want instead of what is cheaper for the company)
Lemon juice (I usually don''t measure.. a splash? About 1 1/2 tsp)
Vinegar ( I also love being able to choose my vinegar. I use apple cider. Again, I don't measure. About the         same amount as lemon juice).


First, separate the egg. Keegan is always excited about
 getting the white. He knows how much great protein 
there is in it. 


 Next, whip the egg yolk. I prefer an electric mixer 
because it takes a while, but a whisk works. Whip the
 yolk until it starts getting thick. 


 Once the yolk gets thick, add the splashes of vinegar and 
lemon juice. Whip until it gets really frothy.

Once it is really frothy and getting thicker, start drizzling the oil in. 
Just add small amounts at a time, while mixing.  

 If you add the oil too quickly it will not thicken correctly. 
The more oil you add and the more you mix it, the lighter 
and thicker it will become.  

Once all of the oil is mixed in add salt and another splash of 
vinegar to taste. You can also add garlic and other spices
to make flavored mayo. 


Voila! Homemade Mayonnaise! To make egg salad, simply
add a dollop of the fresh mayo to a couple of hard boiled eggs. 
Add chopped onions, brown mustard, garlic, and paprika. 
Use a fork to crush and mix. Add to toast. :) 
As simple as that. SOOO Good!


This was the use Keegan put the egg white to. 
A fresh salad, tomatoes fresh out of the garden, onions
from our garden that we picked this spring, and scrambled egg whites 
topped with a splash of apple cider vinegar and ground pepper. 
Good choice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment