Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Adventures of the Turkey-Heads!

One of my Bourbon Red Toms coming to visit me <3
"Aren't I handsome?!"
After having heritage turkeys for 7 months, I would have thought that I would have them figured out by now! Not how to take care of them, because they are actually really easy to care for, but how they think and why they behave the way they do. I still haven't figured out if they are really smart, or really stupid. I'm not sure, at times, how they could possibly survive in the wild! Other times, I can't believe that anything could be that curious without being very intelligent. They are very nosy animals. They have to be right in the middle of what ever you are doing. Pulling weeds? They have to grab everything in your hand away from you and try to eat it or bite your fingers repeatedly. Raking leaves? They want to see what it is that you are raking up, and to do that they have to spread it back out again. Using a chain saw to cut wood? Well, I've learned to appreciate the breaks I have to take when they are getting too close to the chainsaw for comfort, as I usually need one by that point, but you get the picture. When I am not outside doing something, they climb on everything. Loud crashes occur occasionally, and I always know who the culprits are. Prancing on the roof-top? No it isn't Santa Claus... the turkey hens like to fly on top of anything high. They have also learned that they can see us through the window, so they find their way up to any window that we are near and stare in at us and call the same call they did as babies, only MUCH louder, which means basically " MOM! Come here!".Of course, that is only if the doors are closed. If they are open, odds are the turkeys will end up inside at some point, usually accompanied by the chickens! If we are not paying attention the turkeys-heads will break the dullness by giving the roosters a quick chase around the yard. They have learned to stop when I fuss at them though! They even come when they are called. Such as when the landlord or mail lady pull up and find themselves surrounded by huge puffed up turkeys and I have to call them off. Can't be that curious without being intelligent, right? Well, then they fall off the the porch... just walk right off the edge because they are too busy puffing up and strutting to pay attention where they are going. They try to eat anything shiny... even when its the same thing 15 times in a row and it wasn't food the 14 times before.

Things I have learned...

My niece visiting the turkeys. Look away!
1. They are like feathered toddlers who have to put everything in their mouth, or climb on top of it, to learn what it is.

2. Don't wear anything shiny near them, unless you don't mind them trying to eat it. (Eyes count as shiny objects. Toddlers are most at risk.)

 3. Don't wear anything dangly... see above. Especially things with elastic, such as jacket hood strings, that can snap back at you when they pull, run, pull, and let go!

4. Don't plan to do anything productive with them wandering around unless you understand that they WILL be involved, and usually it will make it much less productive, although much more eventful!

5. Don't forget to put them up before it gets dark, unless carrying full grown turkeys, one at a time, across the yard and putting them to bed sounds like an enjoyable task. (Yes.. this is what I spent the evening doing. In the rain.) They don't put themselves to bed like the chickens do.

6. NEVER leave them to free-range unless supervised, unless your neighbors don't mind them coming to visit, and you don't live on a busy road. ("Not so Good" neighbor wasn't too happy about it.)

"How YOU doin'? "
7. They are MUCH easier to corral than chickens are. In fact, usually if I call and walk to the coop they follow me right in. This made retrieving them from "Good Neighbor's"  house much easier when he had to rescue them from the middle of the road, as well as from "Not so Good Neighbor" who recently lost his dog because it had attacked my turkeys and was none too pleased that my turkeys were in his yard. "Good Neighbor" let them out of the cage and they followed me all the way home. He thought it was much more amusing than I did at that point in time.

They really are wonderful creatures and I love having them, most of the time. I have my moments when I wonder why I do it, but that is usually when we have a dog attack, or something similar that breaks my heart.Much like a toddler, they can be trying at times, but they are so sweet, cute, and cuddly, that it is impossible to stay mad at them. I encourage anyone who is interested in raising animals to try turkeys. I wish I would have done it sooner. Have you hugged your turkey today?! I have!




No comments:

Post a Comment