Saturday, April 6, 2013

Cabbage, Potato, and Carrot Soup

I am always trying to find new ways to use veggies when they are in season. I had a beautiful head of cabbage around St. Patrick's Day and had exhausted my other recipes so I found a new way to put it to use. In soup! I love soup when it is cool out but most soups are heavy in cream and I feel guilty eating too much. Not this one! And it is still so creamy and delicious, all while being good for you! I tend to mix things as I go rather than measuring things out so it is all an estimate. The best thing about this soup is that you really can't mess it up!

Cabbage, Potato, and Carrot Soup

- 1/2 of a medium sized head of cabbage, chopped
- 4-6 medium potatoes, chopped into 1-2 inch cubes
- 3-4 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic (or to taste) diced
- 2 quarts chicken stock/broth

I raise and process my own chickens and turkeys so I make my own chicken/turkey stock. You needn't make it yourself, you can easily buy it. You can also make it yourself without having to process your own poultry using store bought chicken or turkey. When I process my chickens and turkeys I save the necks, and if I quarter them I save the backbone, stick them in the freezer, and when I need stock I just put them in a pot of water with some onions, garlic, and a little salt. Simmer for an hour or two, remove the solids, and voila! Homemade stock!

1. Saute the onions in a little bit of olive oil until translucent.

2. Add stock/broth and heat.

3. Add chopped veggies and garlic. They should be submerged in liquid. If they aren't simply add a bit more or add water.

4. Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. Simmer until the veggies are tender (about 30 minutes). The carrots will probably take the longest.

6. Eat like it is for a stew-like soup or puree with a immersion blender or in batches using a regular blender for a thicker soup. I prefer mine pureed. The trick to using a regular blender is to do it in small batches and ALWAYS pulse it a few times to avoid very hot liquid exploding out of the top.

7. Enjoy! I like to top it with a little cheddar cheese, but it isn't necessary. The best side I have found for this soup is a beautiful piece of Irish brown soda bread with a couple of pads of real cream butter on top. MmMmMm!

1 comment:

  1. that soup sounds good.......Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete