Wednesday, February 26, 2014

New Life Springs Forth



My tomato seedlings have been up for several days already! My peppers are now starting to sprout. I am already excited about eating that first juicy tomato! Grow little seedlings grow! 



Some of the other plants enjoying the grow light and providing habitat for my tree frogs who live in my kitchen. Some of those are grapefruit and lemon tree seedlings that I hope to use as rootstock soon.  



A few of the beautiful carrots that Keegan pulled from the garden for me. 
My sweet babies have begun to hatch! Last night I had 4 hatched out when I got home from work. By this morning there were 3 more to add to the fluffy butts that are in the brooder.I had to help one hatch this morning because the membrane had dried and trapped it inside the shell. I left him in the brooder to dry and get some rest and am hoping that he will be happy and healthy when I get home from work this evening.




They are so sleepy but are already trying to eat and drink. They have Quick Chick in their water to get them started off well from the beginning. They also have their chick starter crumbles but seem to enjoy sleeping on them more than eating them most of the time.




 


When they wake for a few minutes they peck around at their food. It is really amazing how much those little things eat once they get the hang of it.

Oh, how I love having sweet fluffy little babies!





The cool weather is still coming and going. It has been in the 70's for a few days and we have been sleeping with the window open at night for several nights but today it is cool and supposed to get below freezing tonight. I still feel spring coming. The blueberry bushes are budding up, seedlings are sprouting, and babies are hatching. I love Spring!

1 comment: