Sunday, September 2, 2012

Post Isaac


Even the flat areas of the yard are pretty marshy
We survived Isaac! Luckily it turned west before it got here and didn't strengthen as much as they thought it would. The one tree we lost right as the storm started was the only one we lost. We were VERY lucky. Even though it didn't hit too hard here there are still many people in our town that lost everything due to flooding. People closer to the coast fared even worse.
The turkeys actually seemed to like their playtime in the cattle trailer. I have a big tree limb in there for them to perch on and they rode out the storm really well. The chickens did as well, although they didn't like being locked up. I kept them in all day on Wednesday because the storm was coming in, but by Thursday afternoon, they were free ranging around the yard, despite the wind still being very strong. I tossed treats in to them while they were cooped up (sunflower seeds) so that they could scratch around and find it, rather than being fussy and mean to each other. The coop is large and has two levels, but they are used to having free range of several acres. I didn't move the turkeys back to their hoop coop until Saturday afternoon. The rain completely flooded where the coop was, as well as much of the rest of the yard. We had no place to move it where they wouldn't be ankle deep in water. I also didn't want to put the tarps back up until the wind calmed down some more. When I moved them back into their freshly relocated coop they all started chasing one of the toms (Big Man) around and biting him. I have never seen them do this before. I tried to rescue him but every time I put him back down they all came after him again. Finally, I put him on a roost and they left him alone. I'm hoping this is just a pecking order issue and they don't hurt him.
The rain was the biggest issue with the storm. There are many places in the area that are underwater. The wind scared me a few times. It is nerve racking to watch the trees bend and sway like they did and know that if they fell, they could reach the roof of the house. Aside from some tree limbs and branches being strewn around the yard and my Cosmos (6+ foot tall plants that grow orange flowers) being knocked down, we really didn't have any damage. I'm thrilled that we fared so well. I'm glad that we prepared, though. It was a nice drill for next time.
Another positive note, my hens are laying 5 eggs a day now!!! Even one of the EEs are laying and I have some pretty blue eggs. I actually have a full dozen eggs for the first time in... I don't remember when. I guess it was at least May. That is, I have a whole dozen eggs, even after Keegan eating his fill this morning! I think he made over half a dozen this morning, and the girls replenished them. I can't wait until I have enough to boil (without Keegan getting upset that I used up all the eggs. He doesn't like boiled eggs that much unless they are deviled eggs).

Randy was keeping an eye on me while I was doing my
walkabout to check on things. 

One of the hens checking out the new "pond" located next
to their coop. 

The turkey coop was pretty well flooded. Randy wanted the
frogs that were enjoying the water. 

Egg production continues, and gets better by
the day. 

The chickens enjoyed scratching around in the mud for
bugs that they couldn't get to before. 

The water trough not only continued filling,
but overflowed from the rain. 

Some photos from an area in town. Completely underwater.

A man walking across a bridge that used to span a creek. I
think the creek pretty well spans the bridge now. 

A whole dozen eggs!!! Even beautiful blue ones, courtesy of Greta.

The turkeys enjoy being back in their hoop coop and are
starting to look/act very turkey-like. 

They are strutting around all puffed up. 

Complete with gobble!

No comments:

Post a Comment