Sunday, September 16, 2012

Projects

The homestead is a work in progress. There are many things that we have accomplished since moving here 3 years ago, but many more that we have plans for, and even more than that still in the dream stages. This autumn and winter there are quite a few projects that I hope to complete. I think that the best way for me to keep track of them, and be accountable for them, is to post them here.

1) Put up electric fence- I am planning on getting pigs before this time next month. I want to get dairy goats, as well, but they many need to wait until spring. Regardless, the fence need to be put up. I decided on electric fencing, which I have read much about recently. It doesn't cost as much, and will hopefully deter the goats and piggies from escaping. Goat and pigs are master escape artists. Pigs dig under and goats climb over. Hopefully it won't take them long to respect the fence and we can all live happily together. I have already purchased about half of the supplies that I need to erect the fence, and hope that it will go smoothly (or as much so as possible for a first-timer). Side note- anyone local, or that visits regularly, that would like to purchase a half or whole pig raised on pasture please let me know! I would like to know how many to get. A pig weighs between 200-300 lbs once it is processed and I will be selling it for $3.00 a pound (cheaper than you can get the factory produced products at the store). They should be ready about 6 months from the time that I get them.

2) Build shelter for the piggies and goats- Probably just lean-to type structures. More than likely made from pallets. It shouldn't be difficult.

3) Build a new, larger, compost pile to enable me to complete the next project...

4) New above ground garden beds in the 75' x 25' area I have laid out in the front yard. These need to be fenced in to keep the chickens from destroying them like they did to my beautiful beds this year! Ugh!

5) Build a shop- I have the plans for a 12' x 16' shop that needs to be completed this winter. Brad needs a home for all of his radio equipment, first and foremost. I also need a place to put a chest deep freezer, which is necessary for pork, chicken, turkey, and any fruit/veggies/berries that don't get canned immediately. Honestly, I could use more than one, but we have to start somewhere. I hope to have shelves lining one wall for canning jars (both empty and full), my water bath and pressure canners, dehydrators, and all the other equipment I use. I want a few troughs at the bottom with hinged lids to put potatoes, onions, squash, and other things that need to be stored in cool, dark, areas. It will also be nice to have a place to put our bicycles.

6) Green house- honestly, this will probably be a pretty fast and easy project. I am really looking forward to it though! It needs to be completed by January so that I can start my plants. It will be built in a similar fashion to my hoop coop. Probably smaller, and of course, it will have plastic rather than chicken wire, which will make it MUCH cheaper (chicken wire is ridiculously expensive!).

7) Chicken tractor(s)- Yes ANOTHER ONE! The hoop coop is currently full of turkeys (and honestly I need to build at least one more of those so I can separate breeds during mating season) and the brooder tractor I built is a TANK! I think it must weigh 200-300 lbs and is very awkward to move. I wanted to make sure it was strong enough to withstand constant moving... yeah...It was the prototype before the hoop coop, which is light, but very big and not very sturdy. I have devised a way to move both (like the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids and the druids moved the huge stones for 100's of miles to make stone henge. Not very original by why argue with something that obviously works well?!) I use a shovel to pry the side up, place several wide pieces of pvc under each side, spaced out, and then drag it. Once a piece slides out the back, I stick it back under the front end, and drag some more. Although, it is always faster with help, I can mange to move both coops alone. Enough rambling. I want to build 1 or 2 new chicken tractors out of metal conduit. This will make it more sturdy than pvc, and lighter than wood. It is also cheap. The meat chickens destroyed every plant in the yard and GARDENS(except for the weeds and grass that I wanted them to eat, of course! UGH!!!)this year, and next year they will remain contained at all times. I still want them to have clean forage every day. Perfect solution.

8) Make an incubator- I want to hatch turkey and chicken eggs this spring. I would rather make my own rather than buy one if possible.

Yes... I have a LOT of projects, but I am determined. Let's see how far my determination can get me. I will keep you updated as I accomplish things.Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment