Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Rainy, Rainy, Rainy

When it rains, it pours.... Literally! To think, that a little over a week ago I was worried about it getting too dry and us needing rain, is amazing to me at this point. It started raining the evening of the 4th, and has rained every single day since! I love rain... well, I appreciate rain. I know how important it is. On a farm, rain is really unparalleled in importance. Nothing can survive without it. On the other end of the spectrum, too much rain is not a good thing either. Luckily, we aren't having severe flooding. Things are just getting so sodden. Including my spirit. I've been watching as my corn collapses in the rain soaked ground... onto my sunflowers, which topple over under it, and there isn't much I can do about it. The grass is getting too tall and I can't mow. The poor chickens and turkeys look so pitiful running around with their wet feathers stuck to their little bodies. They look as miserable as I feel. I keep running outside every time the rain ceases for a bit, to get as much done as I can. Thankfully, the day before the rain started Keegan and I shoveled out the turkey coop, put the fresh compost in the gardens, and put fresh hay down in the coop. I've been adding layers as is gets muddy and adding pine shavings to the chicken coop and baby brooder, as well. Trying to keep the tall things in my garden standing, the vining things dry, and picking everything that hasn't started rotting in the dampness. I feel like a little kid, staring out the window at the gray sky and wanting to go out and play! What I really need to do is pull on some galoshes and go stomp around in mud puddles! Hmmm... maybe I should look into getting ducks?! If it keeps up like this, I may need to consider getting a canoe as well!

2 comments:

  1. Kristin - congratulations, I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Award! This is an award given by bloggers to bloggers. It's a great way to give recognition to our favorite up and coming bloggers out there. You can check it out on my blog at:
    http://makingoursustainablelife.com/liebster-from-me-to-you

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what to say! I'm Honored! Thank you so much!

      Delete