Monday, September 16, 2013

As the days go by...

I'm trying to get things accomplished. I have just had to come to terms with the fact that nothing is getting done mid-day. The animals are fed and cared for, but no heavy lifting or forward momentum occurs until at least 4pm. It isn't possible with this heat and humidity!

Today the hoop tractor containing the 3 turkey poults and guineas was moved from one side of the yard to another. They didn't want to cooperate, but eventually we made it to the finish line. They are next to the permanent chicken and turkey coops, getting used to the surroundings. Soon they will integrate into the turkey coop and will later start free-ranging. Hopefully the 3 grown turkeys will tolerate it. They haven't been very friendly lately. They are always friendly to me, but they have been big bullies to the dogs and my little nephew Jaxon. I hope they settle down soon.

Since that hoop tractor has been moved and that section of the yard thoroughly grazed, I mowed it. It looks so nice! I let the sections of the yard that I move the tractors on grow out to supply the birds with plenty of good greens to graze on. The tractor is moved each day to the next plot over, but nothing is mowed until the entire section has had the tractor on it for a day. I try not to move the tractors over the same area more than once with any given set of birds. That way there is a resting period in which the manure can absorb into the ground, the grass can regenerate, and any parasites that may happen to be there can die off. I have never had a parasite problem with any birds on pasture. There is usually at least a couple of months resting time for each area.

I have been working on getting the garden planted. Thankfully we haven't has any significant rainfall. We really need it (I can't believe I am actually saying that after this summer!!!), but it will turn the freshly turned powdery dirt in that section of garden into muck resembling quicksand, which will promptly dry into a plaster cover over my garden. As I turn a row, I plant it and then cover any area not containing a plant or seed with newspaper and then hay. That way the plant and seed can get to sunlight to grow, but the weeds won't be able to and the rain won't be able to destroy the soil. It will take a while to improve the soil, but the first thing is to keep it from getting in worse shape before I can work to make it better.

So far in the big garden I have wide rows of broccoli and cabbage, half a row of cauliflower, half a row of swiss chard, a wide row of kale (3 kinds), 1/3 row of brussel sprouts, and 1/3 row of rutabagas. In the small above ground beds I have a bed of carrots (2 types), half a bed of lettuce mix, some late pole beans, the few remaining beet seeds I had on hand, and some zucchini planted. I ordered a bunch of seeds from Baker Creek, but they haven't gotten here yet. I hope they come soon because that package contains my beet seeds and I want to get them in the ground! I also still need to plant the basil I have germinated inside, some spinach, and garlic. Onions need to be started soon as well. I will try to get as much done as I can in the morning. I think the rain has held off for about as long as it is going to, so I need to work fast.

Also of note, Brad and I killed a juvenile copperhead this afternoon. We were taking cover during brief shower in the lean-to shed and talking when he saw it slither by my foot. That is the 3rd one I had a brush with this year. Apparently it is a bad year for venomous snakes in this area. I hate killing anything, including snakes, but I'm just not willing to take any more chances with the venomous ones anymore. Those little buggers hurt and result in very expensive hospital bills. Where are all of the kingsnakes when I need them?!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you saw him before he took a strike at you! Wow, that was a close one. You have been a busy lady and the garden sounds delicious! Hope you get enough rain to do the garden good without the torrential downfalls.

    ReplyDelete