Saturday, June 7, 2014

Rant...

http://www.grit.com/animals/livestock/the-agony-and-joy-of-farm-fresh-meat.aspx#axzz33y9Nhzwt

I read this blog post on the Grit Magazine page today and it really struck a cord. I love it! I have had so many conversations like this with people about raising my own meat. I wish I could have expressed my side this well all of those times. She explained it is such a simple, calm, and easily understandable way. I tend to get agitated quickly and then lose my ability to reason. It is just so difficult... really impossible, to explain to some people that I'm not crazy or cruel. That I do it because I don't condone animal cruelty and want cleaner, healthier meat for my family. No matter what I say to some people it is still impossible for them to comprehend. They argue, "but at least none of the meat at the store had a face" or  "but the grocery store is so much cleaner than a farm". They think I should buy my meat from the nearest superstore where no animals were killed or harmed or anything. "What?! That pork actually came from a pig?! Huh?! That hamburger moo'ed at some point?! Not the one I got at the drive-thru....". In their eyes, the pig that I raised from a little piglet shouldn't be put to death because it is an animal. But it doesn't seem to bother them that while this animal lived a happy healthy life rooting in the dirt and running in the sun, free of abuse and not pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, that the pigs that would take its place if I bought that pork from the store live terrible lives, died horrible deaths, and on top of that the meat can just outright be dangerous for your health. Out of sight, out of mind. It really just makes me want to shake my head and say " That's right. I hate animals. That's why I devote all of my time, money, and energy making sure they live a happy, healthy life. How could I do such a terrible thing?!" I agree that raising and processing your own meat is not for the faint of heart and not everyone is cut out for it. Personally, I never would have thought I could do it. I was the teenager that wanted to rescue the dissection frogs in biology and literally tied myself to a tree so it couldn't be cut down. I am so emotional about the subject because it isn't easy for me. People assume I am unfeeling, but I feel for every single animal we process. It is a process where-in the whole family will laugh, cry, scream, want to rip our hair out, and have our heart break completely. I love each baby that I start with and agonize with every decision I make for them. I worry about the safety and well-being of each one every day. I get attached.  I just decided that my discomfort with the process doesn't give me an excuse to let animals suffer. Just because I don't think about it doesn't meant it isn't happening. I decided to suck it up and deal with the situation. I admit, I am a control freak so I do it myself so I know it will be done right. Some people just can't. But that doesn't mean you can't buy it from someone who can. Don't think it matters? I promise it does. And that isn't even getting into the health issues surrounding it. In the end, I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. It has made my life so much more full and worth living.

Want more info? It can be found everywhere, but I encourage everyone to watch Food Inc. and Fresh, The Movie. The are probably almost completely responsible for getting the ball rolling for Sunflower Hill Homestead.

1 comment: