Saturday, June 21, 2014

U-PIK

 Yesterday we went to pick veggies at Charlie's U-Pik. This is our haul. We got 3 5 gallon buckets of onions, 3 of tomatoes, 2 of peppers, 2 cantaloupes, and a watermelon.
It didn't seem like nearly enough when we were picking and I was really wishing that we could have gotten more. Once we got home, however, I felt a bit differently. I was wondering what I had gotten myself into! All of these veggies have to be put away, and soon!
 The onions are on the back porch drying out. It looks like it may rain for the next few days so I may have to bring them in.
The first order of business was to make Pico de Gallo with some of the tomatoes that got damaged in transport paired with some peppers and onions. This is a gallon sized bowl. Half of it was gone within minutes. Keegan and Brad are good sports and love helping me out when it comes to taking care of some damaged produce. Today I made 10 pints, 3 half pints, and 4 quarts of salsa. I got to use my newly fully functional stove that Brad fixed for me. I only have one big eye and it has been broken for nearly 6 years. He was amazing and fixed it for me so I would be able to more easily can this year. It barely looks like I used any tomatoes. Tomorrow will be tomato sauce day. Once the kitchen table is cleared a bit I can cut up some peppers and onions to dehydrate and freeze. We also picked another gallon and a half of blueberries this evening.

The chicken shuffle happened this afternoon. We had a bully rooster in the babies' tractor so we went ahead and transferred two of the most bullied roos and the 8 hens from the babies' hoop coop to the big coop. The 3 silkie roos that we have been having problems with have been moved to the new gentlemen's club. The hens followed Keegan around all day. He has laid claim to them all as his now. So much for him fussing about having to take care of my chickens. He even caught each one and put them in the coop tonight. He is amazingly proficient at catching chickens and he made quick work of it. It probably didn't hurt that it got him out of picking blueberries for a while. Hopefully they will learn quickly that they belong there and go back at night on their own soon.

We saw a raccoon in the big oak tree behind the turkey coop last night. We will have to keep a close eye on that situation. The game cam crapped out so I can't set it up to keep an eye out. Brad has been working of fixing it all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment