Friday, April 10, 2015

Sweet Taste of Nature

A couple days ago Liam and I spent a bit of time checking out the strawberry patch. I weeded and checked things over while he played in the mulch. As close as I watched him he still managed to get a few mosquito bites and apparently snacked on a bit of a leaf or two.
 There were several little ripe berries. Liam taste tested one for me. He approves. They were really small though. I don't know if it is the type of plant or if they maybe need more water or fertilizer? The chickens never allowed a berry to ripen before so even though these plants have been here for probably 4-5 years, I only saw a berry maybe once... the first year. Before I had free ranging chickens running around everywhere.
 The green beans are doing fantastically! Already just about tall enough to reach the trellis and start climbing. I finally cleared out the rest of these beds, fenced around all but 1 (ran out of netting), and mulched them all including adding layers to the onions now that they are all up. I mowed for the first time this year yesterday so it looks a bit better out there now than it did when I took this.
I planted tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse about a week ago! None up yet, but I am anxiously waiting. I really need to start transplanting the stuff that is already growing in there outside to free up space. We are enjoying lots of salads from the beautiful greens in the back. MmMmM! No more store bought stuff!
Back in the small garden beds I planted cucumbers in this bed and zucchini in another. I have planted cucumbers in the big garden the last couple of years but they suffered "chicken damage" and got some kind of disease because of it. A few years ago I grew them in one of these small beds (before the big garden was there) and they did wonderfully. I had more than enough to make plenty of pickles with and some for slicing. That's all I need!
 "Hello little cucumber plant! I'm so excited to see you already! I have lots of plans for you."
 The blueberry bushes are LOADED with fruit. Even after Liam helping me to show it to the camera and the chickens clearing the bottom of the bushes of flowers when they were in bloom. They thought they were being so smart...
 Einstein(rooster) is leading his hens to try to find berries or flowers to eat now. Yellow (turkey) could care less about the blueberries. He just wants to show me how pretty he is.
 The Resurrection ferns think it is nice and moist outside. I love these!
It was such a beautiful day that even my camera was seeing sunshine and rainbows. It is very pretty out today too now that the rain has stopped for a bit. Perhaps Liam and I will go for a walk. He has been sleeping most of the day because his cold has gone to his chest and he(myself and Brad as well) is feeling pretty rough. He just woke up and is trying his best to type too. Time to get my butt back in gear, and my arm to wake up after having him sleeping on it for over an hour, too afraid to put him down lest I wake the poor sick baby. Alas, he woke in force and is ready to plunder. Arrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment