Monday, April 13, 2015

We're Just a Mess

We have all succumbed to the evil sickness. Even Keegan who has a nearly in-conquerable immune system. It is now in our chests. Coughing all night. Ugh. On top of that, poor little Liam has a double ear infection. I have a double case of viral pink-eye, apparently another symptom of this plague. Who knew that even existed? Back that up with the seasonal allergies that kick my butt this time every year all on its own. I'm afraid to take anything that helps much while breastfeeding. We are just a mess around here.

On the plus side, it has been raining here almost constantly, so sitting around inside not doing anything productive isn't quite as painful when I couldn't be outside working anyway.

 Liam and I have still been finding rain-free time to have a walk-about at least once a day. He loves being outside. He is such a happy boy even when he feels like poo. Here are some pictures I took a couple days ago.

I love this greenhouse! I'm so glad I finally got one and that I found this one for such a great deal. It has been through some pretty strong wind and thunderstorms and is holding tough so far with only tent stakes holding it down.
 I guess this could be caused by wind but all 3 pear trees are doing it but are leaning different directions even though they are only about 15 feet apart. Maybe they have gotten tall too fast and the leaves are weighing them down? This is the first time I have ever grown pear trees so I need to look this up and see if what I can find about it.
 Winter wasn't good to this faucet. I need to replace it if I can ever remember to go to the hardware store during normal store hours. I always remember on weekends or at night. I also need to find another tub of some kind to put under this hose to hold water for the animals. I keep putting plastic bins there and they keep dry rotting. I tried using a chicken waterer there last summer, but I preferred using a tub of some kind because the water didn't get as hot. Also, the waterer was putting more weight on the connectors than they could take causing me to fix it or the animals be without water regularly. A tub is just easier.
 The tomatoes came up a couple days ago and the peppers and eggplants are starting to poke through the soil too! Of all the fruits and veggies I grow tomatoes and peppers are by far my favorite. I need to get working on clearing the garden!

Half of the garden is going to be pigged and then be planted with corn, pumpkins, and melons. I have reserved 3 piglets already! A wonderful lady that has a CSA about 20 minutes south of us has offered some of her piglets. We met when she bought some of my turkey poults and we talked about my buying piglets last fall. She has kindly taken in some of my turkey babies since then when only 1 hatched or when my momma turkey was killed and left orphans. She is gifting us with these three because she said the momma is on the small side and they don't grow quite as fast, though they do end up being a good weight. I'm more than happy to take them on. Heritage and/or pastured pork doesn't usually grow quite as fast "Big Ag" would like anyway. I'm grateful for them. I want to get them young so I can hopefully do a better job training them to respect the electric fence this time around.
My Irises are blooming. Beauty abounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment