Wednesday, April 1, 2015

At a loss

I have read many blogs and seen many people with small children garden and tend to their farm. It seems so natural and wonderful to see kids alongside their parents working the land. I had visions of my beautiful gardens flourishing and the animals frolicking in the fields, all my doing, and all with my little guy at my side. Now that the time has come for these dreams to come to life, I am at a loss. How?

Maybe I just need advice and am missing something? Perhaps I just have a much more high needs child than most people I have seen? Is it possible that everything I have seen and read are lies? I have a hard time believing that is the case. I'm just at a loss. How do parents (breastfeeding mothers in particular) get farm chores and garden planting done with a little one in tow? Maybe it is because both parents actively work on the homestead? Around here it is just me unless I need help with something specific. I baby wear, but it is just too hot here for a full baby carrier outside and a sling just doesn't offer enough support to do vigorous things like digging or hoeing the garden. Fireants (and turkeys) prevent me from putting him on the ground to play for more than a minute or two while I garden. I have a playpen that I bought specifically to protect him from the fireants and turkeys but it takes more time to set up than he will sit in it. Little Liam likes mommy to hold him. All. The. Time. Which is fine because I am basking in the joy of having my sweet little blessing, but things still have to get done. Brad can amuse him for short periods, but not ever for long and he is gone a good amount of the time. I also don't understand what people do about all of the mosquitoes, gnats, no see-ums, and biting flies? I hate the thought of using insect repellent on his little body but wouldn't wish being eaten alive by the massive swarm of biting things that live here on anyone, let alone my sweet baby.

I guess I am kind of overwhelmed at the vast amount of things that need to be done and the complete inability to do them. I'm a "go out and get it done" kind of person. I love working hard and accomplishing things. Sitting around and looking at all of the stuff I need to do and not being able to do it is more than my brain can wrap itself around. Liam and I take a walk around the homestead at least once a day. He loves being outside. Just not enough to let me put him down and be productive. Just enough to let me carry him around to look at all of the pretty things that mommy needs to do. It has started really stressing me out. I know that there is a season for all things and this too shall pass, but it will pass too late for me to get the garden planted and we will have to go without this winter. I am at a complete loss. What am I doing wrong? I'm not even upset that everyone else makes it look so easy, because nothing about homesteading is actually as easy as it is made to look. I'm just confused how it is apparently possible for others and I can't figure it out. I need enlightenment.

No comments:

Post a Comment