Sunday, April 27, 2014

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

That's what they say, anyway. That is how I have had to start doing things at any rate. It seems fitting because as the time goes by I am beginning to feel more and more like a giant backwards turtle. I am thankful that I have finally gotten past the debilitating 24 hour a day "morning" sickness and crazy constant fatigue. Now I feel productive! Which is great since I have OH SO MUCH to do! I have found that, so far, I can get quite a bit done as long as I take breaks. A LOT of breaks. Now if I could just stay focused on one thing long enough to complete it before I get sidetracked and get started on something else. Alas... that I can't blame on pregnancy. That is just a normal part of my brain function.

So far I checked a few things off of my To-Do List:

- I fixed the chicken waterer hose that was leaking. I had to cut the male end off and replace it. I also shoveled out the nasty mud that had accumulated  in the bottom of the chicken run because of the swampy conditions and put down some bedding.

- I cleared several of the small above ground garden beds and got them layered in newspaper and leaves. I then had to put up netting around them to keep the chickens from removing it. The others need to be done soon. My weedeater batteries don't last long enough to get much done at a time but my wonderful husband just informed me that he ordered me a speed charger so I don't have to wait 8 hours for each of the 3 batteries to charge! I also hate to cut down the beautiful clover growing in the others because there are lots of honey bees happily buzzing around them. I will give them a few more days.

- I cleared 2.5 of the 4 above ground rows in the big garden.

- I cleaned up (re-edged, leveled, and ammended) one of the cleared big garden rows and got all of the tomato plants out of my kitchen and into the garden. We even got the new trellising system for them up, put newspapers down, and mulched around them. I bought some spare heritage tomatoes today to replace a few that aren't going to make it through the transition.

- I patched up one of the hoop coops and got the babies moved out of the "Tank" and into it. The other hoop coop tractor is being used to protect my "to-be-planted" potted plants from the chickens who think that anything in a pot or planted by me must be a delicacy and leave me stubs. I don't think I will need both of them this year for chickens. I am going to be too big and pregnant to want to move two of them every day in the South Mississippi heat and humidity. I also don't think I will be up to processing any more than I already have either while pregnant or shortly after having the baby. Thankfully we still have some chickens in the freezer from last year.

- I started getting some spring cleaning done. Just bits here and there. Mainly I cleaned out all of the kitchen cabinets. Still lots to go on that front...

- Brad and I put new screens into almost all of the windows in the house! I don't think that was on our list but has been badly needed for years. My screens have been taken out of windows for various reasons and haven't found their way back in one piece. We were down to two pitiful excuses for screens in the whole house. I LOVE having the windows open when it is nice outside but the bugs around here are terrible. Now I can have windows open all night and not be eaten alive or carried away by mosquitoes. Oh I can't say how thankful I am!



No comments:

Post a Comment