Monday, May 12, 2014

Accomplishing Stuff

Little by little. Not as quickly as I would like, but it is getting done and that is the important part.

All of the raised beds in the big garden are cleared, mulched, and planted! I made a garden layout with Paint. It looks pretty juvenile, but I don't claim to be talented (or patient) with computer programs. It works for me and gives a basic idea, which is what I was aiming for anyway. All seeds are heirloom, as usual. It is also important to note that I don't know how many of each are planted in each row. They are just basic representations. I know that there are at least 40 tomato plants in the ground and I used a whole package each of cantaloupe, and both types of sunflower seeds.

West to East (Front of Garden to back)

- Row 1-  Titan Sunflowers, Georgia Rattlesnake Watermelon, Mammoth Grey Striped Sunflowers, Table Queen Acorn Squash

- Row 2-   Assorted peppers perhaps eggplant. Types include pepperoncini peppers, Pepper Tam jalapenos, California Wonder peppers, and Ping Tung Eggplant. The seedling cups got mixed up so sadly I lost track of which is which and where things are planted. I know for sure that there are bell peppers near the broocoli and jalapenos in front of that. The rest is mixed. Broccoli ( type unknown plants gifts from father in-law)

-Row 3-   Delikatesse Cucumber, Sleeping Beauty Cantaloupe

- Row 4-  Assorted Tomatoes. Same thing here... seedling cups weren't marked well enough and got mixed up. The varieties are Egg Yolk, Pink Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Amish Paste, and Rutgers.
 In other news, the air conditioner is in! Brad did most of the work, with Keegan being the gopher and me making the store runs. He cut a port in the wall so that we could save valuable window space. It is high up near the ceiling, which I think will help cool the hotter air as it raises and circulate it. Of course, we kept finding things we had to have to finish the project. None of which we realized we needed before the project began. Being Saturday in the tiny town that we live in meant that I had to run to the next city over to get it (45 minutes away). And then to another store to get other tools later on. It was supposed to rain the following day so we had to finish once we started because we couldn't leave a gaping hole in the wall. Brad and I finally finished up at around 4am. He worked his little tooshie off. Of course it didn't rain the next day... figures. Poor Brad is still sore 2 days later from it all. Anyway. It is in! That is a HUGE project out of the way! I didn't even realize how miserable I really felt until we turned it on. It is so humid and that AC makes a world of difference. I feel human again.

Two other big things of note. My husband and my Mom are college graduates!!! My wonderful mom has been taking classes off and on for years while working full time. She now has her Associates Degree and is working on her Bachelors. She is my hero and I love her so much!  Brad is now the proud holder of not one, but two Bachelor of Science degrees. Math and Physics. I got mine first (Environmental Biology) so of course he had to show me up and get two. lol He got his final grades a couple hours ago. I am so proud! He plans to start grad school in the fall to work on a PhD in Physics. He is a smart arse and now has the papers to prove it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment