Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Quick Garden Update

The Indian Flint Corn and Fairy Tale Pumpkins are planted in the big garden. I only planted as far as I managed to weedeat but ran out of both types of seeds. The weedeater batteries never last nearly as long as I need them to. It is very frustrating.  I also replanted cucumbers and cantaloupe. Very few of the cucumbers and none of the cantaloupe came up for some reason. They may have been planted too deep. I ran out of cantaloupe seeds last time so I had to use some seeds that I had left over from a year or two ago. I think they are hybrid, which I don't like, but I don't have time to order more heirloom. They are already late getting in the ground. We shall see if they come up. The sunflowers are starting to push through the soil. The peppers and broccoli look very happy. The tomato plants are getting bigger. I pinched the bottom sets of leaves back. They had little holes in them like flea beetles or something similar have been munching on them. I found a single, very little, caterpillar on one of them. I'm going to have to keep a close eye out for more. They can devour a plant very quickly and tend to cause massive damage before they are discovered. I have the Bt spray ready as well as some Dr. Bronners Magic Soap which I have read will kill them when a few drops are mixed with water. Some of them will need to be tied to the fence soon. The pole bean, butter bean, butternut squash, zucchini, watermelon, and marigold seeds that I planted in containers a while back have come up. No pumpkins have sprouted so far. I hope that the seed isn't bad (like so much of the seed I bought from that company last year was) and that they are just taking a bit longer. I'm really looking forward to the beautiful fairy tale pumpkins. The plants need to go into the ground soon! Garden arches need to be toward the front of the To-Do list, along with getting the sweet corn, watermelon, and potatoes planted in the big garden. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. The gardens will like that. Hopefully I will be able to get some deep cleaning done inside. Now for a long hot shower to ease my poor aching body.

No comments:

Post a Comment