Friday, May 30, 2014

This Rain is Crazy!

There haven't been dangerous storms or anything. It just keeps coming! Total downpours. Repeatedly. It will barely stop for a few minutes and then the sky opens up again. I managed to take a quick walk about during one of the brief lapses earlier. No pictures because I didn't trust the rain to stay away for long enough... it was a good thing too. The big garden walkways are ankle deep in water. Luckily, they are raised beds so the actual plants are safe from the flood. They all seem to be enjoying it and are growing well. The beans in the little garden are beginning to twine up the bottom of the arbors. I was amazed to see the butternut squash plants that had been broken off by the chickens and I had thrown to the side looking perfectly green and healthy. I picked them up and realized that, because it has been so wet, they had started sprouting new roots instead of dying. I replanted them. I'm excited to see if they make it.

The animals look positively miserable. There are few things that looks more pathetic than waterlogged poultry. The turkeys especially. They don't have enough sense to get in out of the rain most of the time. They do better than the guineas though. Whenever it starts raining the guineas just stop. Where ever they may be. They stand as still as statues until the strange wet stuff falling from the sky stops hitting them in the head. I don't remember if I mentioned before, but we lost a guinea the other day to a car. Two others have rarely been seen in a while. I think they they are a mated pair. Hopefully they will show back up soon followed by a bunch of little keets. If nothing else, I hope nothing eats them while they are nesting. The chickens at least have enough sense to get in out of the rain when it is really coming down, but since it has barely stopped they still get soaked in order to eat. Have you heard the saying " as mad as a wet hen"? Yeah... they don't enjoy the rain much.

Keegan and I had to make an emergency repair to the babies' hoop coop tractor. The rain had waterlogged the untreated boards and the weight of the water bucket pulled the "spine" of the coop loose from the front. It will hold for the time being but when the wood dries out we need to do a better job. The babies are getting big and are managing to stay remarkably dry.

The bottom half of the driveway (near the road) has washed out again. It has a bigger gully than it did before it was fixed last time. The top half looks great though. The water has been running down the road like a river. I had to stop on my way out of the driveway earlier to move a water turtle out of the road. Poor fella must have washed out of the swamp down the road. He seemed perfectly happy until I picked him up though. The flow may wash our mailbox away if it speeds up anymore or gets much deeper. The ravine in the woods on the north side of our property sounds like rushing rapids. It is normally empty except for when it rains heavily. I wish I could see it without climbing through thick brush. Its relaxing to listen to though. The frogs also seem to be happy. The water is difficult to hear between the chorus of frogs when they really get going.

Being stuck inside is making us all a bit stir crazy. I have been passing the time by cooking and baking. A lot. Probably too much. Not even the bottomless pits that I live with have been able to keep up. I need to be washing windows and wiping down walls instead. Alas, it doesn't seem nearly as pleasant. The guys have been cleaning a bit in preparation for carpet shampooing soon. As soon as the rain ends. We may float away first. The 10 day forecast is calling for rain every day. Good thing it is usually wrong. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment