Friday, May 2, 2014

Another Row Down... and a few other accomplishments

Keegan and I got another above ground row in the big garden cleaned up, mulched, and planted. The row that contained tomatoes and peppers last year is planted with cucumbers and cantaloupe this year. I didn't get pictures because we didn't finish until after dark, even with me making holes and Keegan planting seeds behind me. The paths should be wide enough to be able to get the mower down them now. We don't need a repeat of the snake incident this year... I also planted the spare tomatoes in the bare spots where the other tomatoes didn't make it. The soil looks so much darker and more rich than it did last year! Maybe the no-till above ground method is working! The last of the above ground rows in the big garden have been cleared as well. Now I just have to get the other two cleaned up, mulched and planted. Then I can start on the flat rows where the corn, watermelons, pumpkins, and perhaps potatoes will be. I worked more on the planting layout of the garden. Things may still change but I think it will work out well how I have it planned now.

Since I haven't managed to get lumber brought over to build the bean/squash arches yet, I went ahead and started some seeds in pots. At least that way they will get a bit of a head start. They really needed to be planted last month, but they will be smashed if I try to place the arches over already growing plants. I kinda got a bit carried away and ended up planting zucchini, butternut squash, pole beans, butter beans, watermelon, and pumpkin. While I was at it I also transplanted some flowers and the lavender, rosemary, and oregano plants I  bought into pots to put on the back steps. The oregano is actually from last year but it needed a bit of love after the hard winter.

The pig fence is finally down! Well... except for 2 or 3 stubborn t-posts that we couldn't get up. The tractor will take care of those. The important thing is now I can mow as soon as I manage to get the tractor. It was surprising that it took me so little time to disassemble the whole thing. I wound the wire around a plank of wood so hopefully it will be easier to use again later. It shouldn't take long to put back up when I need it later, whether it be this year or next. Having that done makes me feel much better!

Not much is going to get accomplished tomorrow. We have my niece's birthday party and a marching band bonfire to go to. I'm glad to have gotten so much done today! Keegan has been helping me quite a bit, which I have really appreciated. He keeps telling me that he doesn't think I should be doing so much and fussing at me. Trying to explain to him that women 100 years ago or more lived out of their gardens and worked much harder than I have been while pregnant. Eventually he just gives up fussing and helps me so that hopefully I will get done more quickly. I didn't expect him to be so protective over me. Its sweet! And I am definitely thankful for the help. As much as I want to do, my body doesn't tolerate quite as much as usual right now. Brad has been super helpful too! He doesn't fuss at me though. He trusts that I know my body and will only do what I can handle safely (which is true). He checks on me often and brings me water, but he is there to help when I ask him to. I am blessed! And maybe, between the 3 (and a half) of us, we will have a  flourishing garden this year! Maybe while I am growing a new little person, my brown thumb will turn green and I will be able to grow other things too!

No comments:

Post a Comment